Thursday, November 12, 2009

Rest for the weary

When you travel on a train in Tokyo, you notice two things. Firstly, they are always busy. Secondly, there are always people in various states of sleep. People here are often just so tired. Last night the young businessman sitting opposite David (amazingly I even got a seat!) was bent over 90 degrees fast asleep! Another young guy was slumped over his shoulder (they probably didn't know each other). Next to me a young lady kept nodding off between stops (and her head kept ending up on my shoulder!) only to be woken up now and again when a text message came in. A friend once said many years ago that we are the tired generation. Many in Japan are tired, if not exhausted. One Bible verse which is very popular here is 'Come to me all you who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest'. It is very apt - and very needed for a weary people. True rest is found only in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment